WELCOME

Thank you for stopping by. Feel free to make any comments.



Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Resume Critiques

Just recently I had my resume critiqued by a professional resume writer.  It was a free critique and of course the response was cryptic and vague in its explanation of what was needed, as all critiques are (this being so you are more likely to purchase the expensive rewrite).

In the process of reading the reply, it sounded very much like every other "free" critique and so I decided to look at this company's sample resumes.  Now I am cautiously assuming that these sample resumes are posted because they fit the "mold" that the resume writer thinks is best and I don't argue with that.  The last thing a company would want to do is post samples of bad anything, let alone resumes in this present job crisis.  So, I look at three sample resumes and guess what?  With the exception of a line or two, my resume looks like the samples!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against resume writers, or them trying to build their business, but after looking at the samples and seeing mine is so similar I have to ask the question "Did you really look at my resume".  My immediate answer is no and in answering myself I have to wonder how many people have been led into having expensive rewrites done when there was no need?

I acknowledge the fact that there are people that have a tough time writing their resumes and need the help of professionals but how hard is it for these professionals, when doing these free critiques, to actually take the time to read my resume and compare it their samples?  I would caution anybody to be very careful about purchasing expensive resume rewrites until you've done extensive research, looked at many samples, and actually try to rewrite yours to meet the standards of the "sample" resumes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment